Pages

Monday, March 9, 2015

Divisions

What´s up! 

This was quite an interesting week, but good of course! I´ll start off with last Pday. Went to a buffet with the zone, had octopus and other good food, I am still really grossed out by the desserts...but the food was good! In the evening the lights went out in Lugano, we had an appointment at a member´s house that happened to have their lights still on in their street and when it was time to go home it was so dark! We had to walk a few miles in the dark to get home and were all turned around. When we got home we still didn´t have power so we had to plan by candlelight lol...it was blazing hot in our pension so the whole time we were planning by the candle we were sweatin pretty bad to say the least. Anyway...our broken fridge wasnt getting power so the icebox (our freezer) melted and started to flood our kitchen. It was so hot that we took the mattresses off our beds and slept on the floor in our study room. My companion and I kept waking up in the night because of the heat (no fan), and when I walked to the restroom, there were big puddles of water throughout most our pension! Crazy! 

On Tuesday night, the Hermana Trainer called and told me to pack a bag for the next 2 days to go live with her and do divisions! I was pretty nervous actually because my companion for those 2 days is from Hondurus and doesnt speak any English. We went in a few casa tomadas (taken houses) which was a little eye opener. A casa tomada is a building that isnt finished because they just stop working on it or an abandoned house. Many families take over the house and live in the individual rooms. There were a lot in that area. They are pretty rough lookin and usually missing parts of the house like walls, windows, doors, or part of the ceiling. Everytime we went into a casa tomada, I felt like I was in a maze! Lets just say most of the time I had no idea what we were doing...we were walking into these dim buildings, walking up super narrow stairs with no roof, walking into people kitchens, and clapping outside of peoples curtains. It is soooo hard to explain lol, but it was really different. 

The capital part of their area was crazy! There were people on both sides of the street with blankets out full of stuff they were selling or small businesses. A lot of people from Haiti were there selling things. Before we started walking down the street, my companion told me to hold my bag and to not pay attention to anyone, then she takes off making her way through the crowd. Apparently you have to be pushy to get anywhere here, shesh! That night she asked me to pray in english so she could see if she could understand any of it. I had such a hard time doing it! What in the world! It took me a solid minute to figure out how to start it and the rest of the prayer was very slow and I would pause to think of words, or I would accidently say it in spanish. I honestly didnt think that would ever happen to me, especially after only 2 months. I can speak in english just fine of course, but I COULDNT do a prayer! So weird.

I can tell I am not use to this food....but for the most part it is good. The other day at a lunch appointment a sweet lady made us steamed veggies and meat.  I thought it tasted super good (reminded me of Sunday dinners at home), and then she¨s like ¨oh you are missing something!¨ and she comes over with the oil and vinegar bottle and pours a TON all over my good food......so my lunch was swimming in oil and vinegar. Haha...ah well. 

The mission is lots of fun, I have an awesome companion and get to be with some awesome people. Which is good because I sure do miss you all! 

I hope you all have a great week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment